Religieuse (Choux Buns with Crème Pâtissière Filling) Recipe:
For the pate a choux:
• 60g butter
• 75g flour
• 2 eggs
For the crème pâtissière (that will fill inside the choux)
• 20g cornflour
• 25g plain flour
• 500ml full fat milk
• 1 vanilla seed
• 6 egg yolks
• 75g caster sugar
For the chocolate ganache (this is the icing on the religious choux buns)
• 150ml double cream
• 200g chocolate
1. Preheat your oven to 220C/425F.
2. To make the Choux buns: Melt the butter in a pan with 150ml of water and heat over a medium heat. Bring the mixture to the boil and remove the pan from the heat. Add in all the flour. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until it forms a soft ball. Return the mixture to the heat and cook for about 3-5 minutes over a low heat while stiring constantly.
3. Remove from the heat and let is cool a little bit. Add the eggs one bye one, beat the mixture between each addition to create a soft dough.
4. Using a piping bag or a spoon create discs (choux) onto the baking tray and smooth the top of each choux bun with your damp finger. Bake the choux for around 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 190C/375F and cook for further 10-15 minutes or until they become golden. Remove your choux buns from the oven and using a screw and small knife make a tiny hole in each bun to let the steam inside the choux to escape (otherwise the inside of your choux buns will become soggy). Put them back inside the oven for 4-5 minutes to dry out. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
5. For the crème pâtissière filling: pour vanilla, milk in a pan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for about 30 seconds. Use another bowl and whisk the egg yolks and sugar until becomes white, then add in the flour and cornflour. Add the vanilla and milk mixture onto the eggs, whisking constantly, then pour back into the pan.
6. Bring the mix back to the boil, whisking constantly over a medium heat and cook for one more minute. Pour the crème pâtissière in a bowl. Cover the surface with cling film to avoid a skin from forming and leave to cool (a few minutes in room temperature and then in the fridge).
7. For the chocolate ganache icing, boil the cream. Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate and stir until mixed completely and creates a shinny mix. let it cool down in the fridge.
8. Now tile to assemble the religieuse: spoon the crème pâtissière into a piping bag (or you can just use a tiny spoon). Fill the choux buns with the crème pâtissière.
9. Dip the filled buns into the chocolate ganache to coat half-way up the sides. Sit the small buns on top of the larger buns. and voila your religieus are ready!
10. Bon appétit!
Let me know if you tried this recipe and enjoyed it!