Moules Mariniere (sailor-style mussels)
* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 1/2 cup celery, sliced
* 1 small shallot, sliced
* 4 medium cloves garlic, sliced
* 1 Carrot, sliced
* 2 bay leaves
* Salt and pepper
* 2 cup hard dry cider or white wine
* 2 pounds mussels (I have used clams instead)
* 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
* 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add celery, shallot, garlic, carrots and bay leave. Season lightly with salt and heavily with black pepper and cook, stirring, until vegetables are very soft but not browned, about 10 minutes.
Add mussels (or clams).
Increase heat to high and add cider or wine and heavy cream.
Stir, cover, and cook, shaking pan constantly and peeking every 30 seconds to stir. As soon as all the mussels are open, add freshly chopped parsley.
Transfer mussels to a bowl using tongs.
Moules Mariniere is usually served with french fries or grilled baguette!